[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo is becoming irrelevant. Here's why. Let's fix it.

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 19:25:09 PDT 2015

So far I have enjoyed this thread for the number of ideas it brings forth.

Just want to highlight the small difference between a forge (SourceForge,
Google Code, Gitourious, GitHub) and Foundation (OSGeo, Apache, Linux,
Eclipse).

Forges tend to focus software version control, build facilities, and
artifact hosting. They make money by selling these same facilities to
enterprise, while often accepting open source projects "on board" as a form
of free advertising.

Foundations focus on projects (license, legal, governance, promotion ..
some even include a social agenda). When they make money they do so by
providing vendor neutral table for organizations to collaborate together
(even if they kick each other under the table on occasion). Software
hosting services are incidental to these goals - although some foundations
like Apache take on hosting as way to control the legal exposure that comes
with hosting code.

One advantage of OSGeo as a foundation is we have the flexibility to allow
out project to change up which forge they use over time (seeing projects
migrate from cvs, subversion, SourceForge / GoogleCode / GitHub).

For projects OSGeo provides something to "belong to" and a fair brand boost
:)

So yeah, if OSGeo rolled up the carpet we would have to set up another
foundation for the projects the next day.
--
Jody

--
Jody Garnett