[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo is becoming irrelevant. Here's why. Let's fix it.

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Sep 29 22:20:11 PDT 2015

Il 30/09/2015 02:04, Jody Garnett ha scritto:

>     I think that the Github move is hazardous. Sure, it is easy, free
>     for open-source projects, and really really cool. Granted, it helps
>     a lot in getting fluid contributions to open-source projects. But
>     ... in two years, they may start shipping sponsors links at the end
>     of the Readme files, and in a moments notice you have to watch 20
>     seconds ads before cloning. At this point, you will want to bail
>     out, only to find out that in fact you can not, because you can not
>     delete the project anymore, or the issue tracker database can not be
>     exported ...
>

> Not much of a problem here, since git means each developer has a copy of
> the whole project. I know we had the same story with SourceForge ...

I think the concerns about GH are real. I feel uneasy putting strategic
pieces of infrastructure in the hands of a company is risky over the
long term. It is true that we have a copy of the whole code base and
history, but the scenarios suggested are possible and worrisome.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu