[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo is becoming irrelevant. Here's why. Let's fix it.

Julien Michel julien.michel at cnes.fr
Tue Sep 29 23:00:45 PDT 2015

Le 30/09/2015 02:04, Jody Garnett a écrit :
> Not much of a problem here, since git means each developer has a copy
> of the whole project. I know we had the same story with SourceForge ...

Well, of course source code is safe with the distributed SCM paradigm.
And I agree that Github is the social network of developers (that is why
I said that all projects should have an official github mirror). I am
more worried about all the secondary services offered: wiki, bugtracker,
binary packages hosting ...

For what it is worth, I would like to cite two personal examples. In our
project, we tried to get out of Jira to move to Tuleap [1]. After
several months trying to export/import the complete set of information
we have in Jira, we abandonned the idea. Sure we can leave, be we will
leave behind a great deal of valuable stuff there. More recently, we
moved our binary packages hosting out of Sourceforge. But ... in fact
you can not remove a project from Sourceforge [2], so we have to write a
redirection message. We can simply not cut the link with it. I agree
that these are minor issues that do not impact the project itself, but
somewhere on the road, we lost a bit of freedom.

Thanks to all of you for your comments,

Regards,

Julien

[1] https://www.tuleap.org/