[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-UK] FOSS4GUK 2016 early bird tickets will be released tomorrow

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 04:20:57 PDT 2016

Hi Jo,

Great to hear updates on the FOSS4G UK 2016 conference and thanks to you and everyone in the local chapter for your efforts. I am looking forward to seeing you all at Southampton soon. I am also happy to see OSGeo:UK chapter now firmly established and expanding fast. I think it will be really helpful if OSGeo:UK chapter can lead ideas for National level strategy for Open Principles in Geospatial in the UK.  It will also help other local chapters around the world to build upon these ideas .

I have summarized my thoughts/ideas on the need for National level strategy for Open Principles in Geospatial at http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/03/national-level-strategy-for-open-principles-in-geospatial-ideas-and-inputs-needed/

Earlier this month , Dr Seraphim Alvanides ran an  OpenGIS event at Northumbria University. Thank you Seraphim for this excellent event to bring together local authority officers and academics . It was a half-day inaugural event for setting up QGIS Northern England User Group, bringing together, mostly local authority officers and academics. The event info and programme overview at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/qgis-northern-england-users-group-inaugural-meeting-at-northumbria-university-tickets-24220042800   btw I am hoping Seraphim wil prepare a summary from the event for Geo4All newsletter also. It just shows the tremendous interest in this from all sectors.

So it important that we have OSGeo UK chapter take this role to bring together  nationally (central government, local authorities, academics, industry, SMEs , NGOs etc) and put forward and support National level strategy for Open Principles in Geospatial in the UK. Please make use of FOSS4G UK  2016 opportunity to make this happen.

Best wishes,

Suchith