[OSGeo-Discuss] 2016 OSGeo's actions - Survey

Marc VLOEMANS marcvloemans1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:04:46 PDT 2016

Dear all,

Thanks for the invite and effort preparing it. I will certainly try to fill
it out to my best of abilities. But I feel it lacks an objective frame work
to sift, group, choose, prioritise and execute the results of the
questionnaire.
The present leap from vision/mission to objectives is often a bit too big
for me (I miss a storyline); explicit transparent strategy formulation
should make the questionaire easier :-).

Unfortunately there are too many implicit assumptions when it comes to our
intended strategy. We already do many things (events, projects, products,
partnering, other initiatives) for many stakeholders. But which add more
value to these than others (having a volunteer does not make something
worthwhile doing)? What do stakeholders expect from OSGeo (did we ever
ask)? Which initiatives are more instrumental to fullfil our mission than
others (not necessarily the number of mentions in the questionaire...)?
Which initoatives deserve more attention than others (eg those fullfilling
more objectives at the same time)? If none of us is interested in executing
a certain activity/task, it does not mean that this activity is not crucial
to our existence.....

I have done some quick thinking and writing on how general strategic
principles would apply to OSGeo, where the Board's objectives fit in and
what possible avenues we have to meet them. So I share this with the list
via this link: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Marketing_Committee
For those who take the time to read, hopefully my thought process can help
with filling in the questionaire and deciding what we are going to do and
monitoring the results!

(For those who do not know me; I have a multi-decade track record in
strategy, business development and marketing with most types of
organzations. Good software has an architecture, good strategy does too ;-)

Please, do not consider this as a critique or an alternative to
vision/mission/objectives and related questionaire, but rather as a means
to fill essential gaps. Ones to fill in order to optimise our added value
as an organisation.

Happy reading.
Cheers, Marc Vloemans

Kind regards,