[OSGeo-Discuss] UN training material

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:35:31 PDT 2016

Hi Maria,
I'd like to suggest that the second step in generating training material
(after sourcing existing material) is to define a template and
development process for UN Training material. The following list is
based on what we have learned from building OSGeo-Live material.

Considerations:
* Structural Guidelines: What headings should be included. Should
pictures be included, size of pictures, quality of pictures.
* Writing guidelines: What voice to use, the level of detail to go into.
* Translation guidelines: How should the documents be structured to
allow easy translation? How do you know if a translation is up to date?
* Storage guidelines: Should it be stored in git?
* Maintenance guidelines: How often are the docs expected to be updated.
How do you write documents such that they are timeless? How can people
report errors or improvements in documentation? What is the plan for
updating the documentation when an application is updated. How is this
resourced.
* License guidelines: What license should material be published under?
* Target Audience: What level is the target audience.
* Flow between courses: Assuming students will do multiple courses, how
to you avoid overlap between courses? What are prerequisites or assumed
knowledge before attempting a course. How will material trace back to a
qualification, learning goals? This leads to setting exams based on
learning goals and material contents.
* Editorial control: Assuming you crowd source some material, will you
have an editor on staff to ensure guidelines above to ensure quality and
above guidelines are followed.
* Distribution format: How is documentation, sample data, and software
to be distributed to the classroom? Note, classroom might be a MOOC run
from someone's home. OSGeo-Live might be one way? Setting up on a cloud
based virtual machine that people can log into is another.

Once the above has been defined, it will facilitate the OSGeo Community
to maintain this documentation very efficiently at a very high level of
quality.

It might be worth adding this list above into the training material
wiki? And others may have more suggestions to add to this list.

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,