[OSGeo-Discuss] What would you want from an OSGeo Git Service ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Apr 15 06:11:54 PDT 2016

On 15 April 2016 at 14:51, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 02:21:22PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> Finally, GitHub, wins: feature-wise, marketing-wise, with 'zero' maintenance
>> - most, if not all, of our projects already prefer GitHub.
>
> 1. marketing wasn't in your 10 points ?

No, this refers to Jody's point(s).

> 2. 'zero' maintainance is true for any hosted solution (including
>    gitlab.com, for example).

Just that being officially on GitLab does not equal being officially on GitHub.
Again, relates to the marketing point.
I also think that one of the major reasons OSGeo teams began move to GitHub
is because they "want to be where the developers [currently] are".

>> The only reason we haven't done it already is the cost.
>
> Done what ?

Moved to GitHub.

> Most projects don't need private repositories so could
> move at no cost. Or you mean the cost of having LDAP authentication ?

I mean non-technical reasons as that is what drives the move.

>> Let's allocate budget for paid account.
>
> Are you willing to collect quotes for hosted git service plans
> meeting all of your 10 features above ?

No and no need for any research.
There is just one player worth to consider, GitHub,
and the price is known (e.g. $200/month).

> Personally I wouldn't like to see an "open source" foundation pay for
> services based on "closed source" software

Personally, as long as policy and statements the foundation and its members
make are clear and consistent, I don't care.

> but I guess there are open
> source based companies offering hosted services too.

It does not matter.
Assuming dropping self-hosted solution is an option,
and looking at the current portfolio of OSGeo projects which
moved to and actively rely on this GitHub,
GitHub is only sensible place to move to.

>> However, the very first question is still open:
>> Do we want or need to switch at all?
>> Are all teams happy with the OSGeo SVN+Trac setup?
>
> I guess this needs to be an individual question, not a per-team one.

There needs to be team-based agreement.

Best regards,