[OSGeo-Discuss] Awesome OSGeo Vision and Analysis from Marc Vloemans!

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Fri Apr 15 13:30:44 PDT 2016

Marc,

you can find the founding info on the OSGeo website.
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation//meetings/2006_02_04/meeting.html

specifically here is the list of founders and the projects
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation//meetings/2006_02_04/participants.html

the founding projects are also listed at the end of the notes here
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation//meetings/2006_02_04/BreakoutTakeaways.html

As you may notice, Autodesk actually played quite important role.

Thank you for the inspiring vision for the marketing committee and OSGeo in
general,

Helena

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Marc Vloemans <marcvloemans1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Maxi
>
> I have not been at the actual birthing myself ;-)
> As far as I could retrieve from the archives the MapServer community
> appeared to have been the basis, as its Bylaws were legally
> transferred/adopted. Perhaps someone else knows more?
>
> More importantly it illustrates that ; the mental model/ideas of how to
> organise and run an umbrella organisation like OSGeo is a carbon copy of
> how a single project community operates (voting, chapter members in stead
> of committees, infrastructure like IRC/wiki). For inspiration I draw from;
> the Apache Foundation is somewhat differently organised from its individual
> projects (in terms of governance, structure, expertises, processes,
> infrastructure and the like).
>
> From a former life (Architecture/City planning); 'form follows function'.
> A bus station (usually) does not resemble a single bus.
>
> Looking forward to your suggestions/ideas on the matter.
>
> Vriendelijke groet,
> Marc Vloemans
>

> Op 15 apr. 2016 om 13:45 heeft Massimiliano Cannata <
> massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Thanks Mark for sharing your personal vision, as multi-decade experienced
> person.
> I believe that your points are helpful to inspire further discussion.
>
> The only remark I wish to mention is that OSGeo is a community that has
> always been an umbrella for projects (it never evolved to, but it born from
> several communities as it is).
>
> Maxi

>> Mark has started an excellent SWOT analysis of OSGeo, laying a foundation
>> for a practical, implementable vision for OSGeo. I suggest everyone grad a
>> coffee and take the time to read and then comment:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Marketing_Committee
>>
>> Mark, thank you for the deep thought you have obviously put into this.
>> I'm excited to hear feedback from others, and ideas on how to refine your
>> ideas and put them into practice.
>>
>> Warm regards, Cameron
>>
>> On 15/04/2016 2:04 am, Marc VLOEMANS wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Thanks for the invite and effort preparing it. I will certainly try to
>> fill it out to my best of abilities. But I feel it lacks an objective frame
>> work to sift, group, choose, prioritise and execute the results of the
>> questionnaire.
>> The present leap from vision/mission to objectives is often a bit too big
>> for me (I miss a storyline); explicit transparent strategy formulation
>> should make the questionaire easier :-).
>>
>> Unfortunately there are too many implicit assumptions when it comes to
>> our intended strategy. We already do many things (events, projects,
>> products, partnering, other initiatives) for many stakeholders. But which
>> add more value to these than others (having a volunteer does not make
>> something worthwhile doing)? What do stakeholders expect from OSGeo (did we
> [...]

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208