[OSGeo-Discuss] Ouch ! : Re: OSGeo strategy and marketing : Call for ideas on osgeo activities

Marc Vloemans marcvloemans1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 04:23:03 PDT 2016

Ouch...once more picking up the towel from the ring....I have to disagree with the spin/suggestiveness/angle as below.....it throws the whole discussion back to its early beginnings ......it disregards what individuals have contributed until now from their experience and insights ......
 I realise that anything I write/offer further can be construed as too critical, too negative, too this, that and other. However, we are IMHO assembled at a too critical junction for OSGeo.

I flatly refuse to go down a wrong path, only execute isolated subjective tasks on behalf of whoever tells me to do so, while seeing the proverbial ice-berg (irrelevance) on the radar (and the band keeps playing). That is not in the spirit of OS communities. I am quite willing to work (and starting to do so) on pressing present issues like: can we salvage our presence at FOSS4GNA next week (no banners, CD's etc to be found), what about actual funding requests.... But it would be nice if offers of help, actual advice, contributions  etc are not so easily dismissed, disregarded or kept for later usage.

Actual terminology as "strategy is not a matter of marketing",  "I suggest you to work..." , comparing us to governments and reminding  me that 'the board has been elected', make me wonder if our community strategy is still to be a bottom-up process and what type of signal this gives to the members/volunteers. And if 'Father knows best what's good for me' .... Well, that only works if one holds power over me or if there is a successful track record to show for. Right now it feels plain wrong to me.

My contribution (and that of other commentators for who I have professional respect for their particular expertise) should be seen as a compliment and addition to what the Board has started.
If the questionnaire, Boards' strategic objectives and member' participation/response all leave something to be desired....then that is totally OK with me....as long as all involved learn from it, take additional expertise on board, adapt, redesign and - anew - go for it.

By the way;
If the Board requires more mandate than they feel they have right now, in order to strategise properly (and not wait till 2017, while already our Foss4gNA-presentation is in jeopardy and the all-important Bonn-OSGeo strategy-presentation  coming up), then they have my backing!

Vriendelijke groet,
Marc Vloemans