[OSGeo-Discuss] GeoAmbassador of the month - Dr. Daria Svidzinska

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 07:21:37 PST 2016

Dear all,

On behalf of GeoForAll and the Open Source Geospatial Foundation, it is my great pleasure to introduce Dr. Daria Svidzinska from Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv in Ukraine as our GeoAmbassador. Daria established GeoforAll lab at her university [1] and has been actively expanding geoeducation opportunities for all.

Daria actively promotes open source GIS among students and young researchers through her courses such as 'Methods of Geoecological Research', 'Geospatial Ananlysis for Landscape Research', 'Design of Ecological Networks'. These courses discuss concepts, methods, and tools for mapping, analysis and modelling of landscape spatial patterns and processes, landscape-ecological basis of ecological networks development, approaches and methods of their design and management. Approaches and algorithms of advanced geospatial analysis and modelling are covered with the focus on digital relief modelling, geomorphometry, hydrological analysis, and thematic classification of remote sensing data. Practical part of the courses requires the development of analytical process, that combines a few open source geospatial software tools (for example, QGIS, SAGA, GRASS, Orfeo Toolbox etc.) to solve an applied problem. Daria is also involved in local training for colleagues from the other areas of expertise who would like to become more powerful GIS users. She gives workshops and provides counseling to promote FOSS GIS use and adoption in Ukraine.

More details are at http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/12/geoambassador-of-the-month-dr-daria-svidzinska/

I am sure Daria will expand these ideas for the future. We are looking forward to building  strong research and teaching collaborations  worldwide in Open Geospatial Science. We are proud to honour  Daria as our GeoAmbassodor and we are extremely grateful for her contributions to GeoForAll.

May the FOSS be with everyone...

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr. Suchith Anand
http://www.geoforall.org/
<http://www.geoforall.org/>http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org

GeoForAll - Building and expanding Open Geospatial Science

[1] http://lab.osgeo.org.ua<http://lab.osgeo.org.ua/>

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.