[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Edu] Web cartography, SLD

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:01:18 PST 2016

It is an XML standard for communicating styles between systems. A client
can make a GetMap request and provide the SLD as part of the request if
they want a different visual.

I ran a styling workshop
<http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/styling/workshop/index.html> for
GeoServer at FOSS4G which is closer to what you are looking for.  While
GeoServer can store styling configuration using SLD it is not the only way,
the workshop uses CSS or YSLD as a more human readable way to introduce
styling concepts.

A number of applications can read SLDs - GeoServer, MapServer etc...  For
writing I do not have a complete list: uDig application provides a GUI and
uses the same rendering engine as GeoServer. At the last FOSS4G code sprint
there was some effort put towards improving the abilities of QGIS to output
SLD. I could not tell if gvSig supported SLD or not (looked to just be for
legends and symbols?).

--
Jody Garnett