[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Edu] Web cartography, SLD

Olivier Ertz olivier.ertz at heig-vd.ch
Tue Dec 13 05:30:38 PST 2016

Right! seems the link to my old sample data is missing. I will try to
find them back and tell you.

Yep, would be interesting to test with the latest GeoServer.

Especially I remember that I had some difficulties to use the MarkIndex
capability of SE with deegree3 (see discussion
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/SE-Styling-MarkIndex-glyph-index-td5022210.html).
No idea how GeoServer does implement what the SE spec describes about
this MarkIndex (at the time of writing the tutorial, I finally decided
to remove the Markindex example from it).

Best regards,
Olivier.

On 12/09/2016 09:04 PM, Andrea Aime wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Olivier Ertz <olivier.ertz at heig-vd.ch
> <mailto:olivier.ertz at heig-vd.ch>> wrote:
>
>     Like GeoServer, deegree3 is a WMS/SLD OGC reference
>     implementation, but in 2013, it was also compliant with Symbology
>     Encoding 1.1 (SE) which is part of the replacement of the
>     deprecated SLD 1.0. Moreover SE1.1 does offer few new
>     capabilities, especially transformation functions (interpolate,
>     recode, categorize).
>

> GeoServer also provides incomplete support for SE 1.1, and full
> support for the transformation functions, but they are so seldomly
> used in combination
> that I cannot be sure they would be handled properly.
>
> I was hoping to find an example ready to customize in the tutorial
> you're linking, but could not see it (I could also not find a full
> style to just cut/paste, is it by any chance available along with the
> sample data? I'd be curious to try that map out on a recent GeoServer).
>
> The main missing point in GeoServer SE support is raster symbolizer,
> the vector symbolization should mostly work.
> Hopefully it's going to get better with the interest the user
> community is showing for style export between
> QGIS and GeoServer (and for once, that will make for a use case meant
> for SE/SLD, that is, machine generation of the
> styles as opposed to manual editing).
> Cheers
> Andrea
>

> --
> ==
> GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
> http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
> ==
>
> Ing. Andrea Aime
> @geowolf
> Technical Lead
>
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Via di Montramito 3/A
> 55054 Massarosa (LU)
> phone: +39 0584 962313
> fax: +39 0584 1660272
> mob: +39  339 8844549
>
> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
>
> *AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*
>
> Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o
> nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
> Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
> messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora
> riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo
> cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla
> distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema.
> Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche in parte,
> distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità
> diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi dettati dal
> D.Lgs. 196/2003.
>
> The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely
> for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be
> [...]

HEIG-VD, Haute Ecole d'Ingénierie et de Gestion du Canton de Vaud
Pr. Olivier Ertz, département comem^+
Professeur HES associé / Ingénieur Universitaire Master

HES-SO / UAS, University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland
MEI, Media Engineering Institute :: http://www.heig-vd.ch ::
http://mei.heig-vd.ch

"Aucune carte du monde n'est digne d'un regard si le pays de l'utopie
n'y figure pas." - Oscar Wilde