[OSGeo-Discuss] [Ica-osgeo-labs] Geo4All Cartographic Challenge – How Openness can help to reduce inequality

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 12:17:01 PST 2016

Our thanks to Professor Silvana Comboim  (The Federal University of Paraná, Brazil) and chair of the ICA Commission on Open source Geotechnologies and Mike Finn (United States Geological Survey, USA) and cochair of the ICA Commission on Open source Geotechnologies for leading this excellent Geo4All Cartographic Challenge as part of the International Map Year to support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal on Reducing inequality within and among countries. I think this is a great opportunity to highlight the importance of working together on the bigger aim to empower and provide quality education opportunities for our bottom billions brothers and sisters worldwide (who are too poor that they dont even have a voice).

Digital technologies are a big enabler for providing Quality education opportunities for everyone. The costs of hardware is coming down (and will keep coming down), internet access is increasing even in poor countries (and will keep increasing) but the biggest artificial barrier is the high cost of properitary software. So by having free and open software will enable billions of our brothers and sisters globally to also get opportunities for getting quality education. I have seen this happening in poor schools in my own state Kerala in India,  where thanks to a pioneering initiative called IT at Schools which is also the world's  largest simultaneous deployment of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) based ICT education providing opportunities for over 12,000 schools, benifitting 6 million students and 200,000 teachers in the state.  Details at https://www.itschool.gov.in/glance.php   The scalability of this initiative has been amazing and this would not have happened if we had to depend of properitery vendors.

There are lot of examples around the world that shows the power of open principles in education. For example, our colleagues in Uruguay (Sergio Acosta y Lara and others) are doing amazing work through gvSIG Batovi initiative providing digital education opportunities to all students in government schools across the country through the wider CEIBAL initiative. See details at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orwN9K07XPo   (video with English translation).

Education and empowerment  are key  for getting rid of extreme poverty and help create digital economy opportunities also for  billions of our economically poor brothers and sisters across our planet and we cannot allow creating artificial digital barriers through high costs properitary licences to keep continue denying them their rightful opportunities for a better future for thier children. Access to quality education opportunities is everyone's birthright.

Education and empowerment of students are also key  for developing creative and open minds in students which is critical for building open innovation and contributes to building up Open Knowledge for the benefit of the whole society and for our future generations. So let us all work together to enable open principles in education to help create a world that is more accessible, equitable and full of innovation and opportunities for everyone.

Best wishes,

Suchith