[OSGeo-Discuss] How can you contribute to enable geospatial education opportunities to all ? Be our GeoAmbassodors

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Jul 2 00:16:43 PDT 2016

Dear colleague,

We are asked by some on “What can GeoForAll do for me?” or “What are the benefits of joining?” and we tell them know they are asking the wrong question. The right question is, “How can I contribute to enable geospatial education opportunities to all ?”

"Geo for All" was started from nothing but the synergies of joining brilliant minds and communities on a common mission makes the seemingly “impossible” possible. As we did not have any initial funding , we had gone through lot of difficulties in our initial stages but it is thanks to the support of our amazing colleagues globally who are all our GeoAmbassodors that we were able to achieve our amazing growth .

So we are now starting to formally honour our GeoAmbassodors in our newsletters each month. It is my great pleasure to introduce Professor Georg Gartner as our GeoAmbassador. It is indeed a honour for us to have an eminent colleague and a visionary who helped us to create “Geo for All” as our first GeoAmbassodor.

Georg Gartner is a Full Professor for Cartography at the Vienna University of Technology. He holds graduate qualifications in Geography and Cartography from the University of Vienna and received his Ph.D. and his Habilitation from the Vienna University of Technology. He was awarded a Fulbright grant to the USA and several research visiting fellowships. He was Dean for Academic Affairs for Geodesy and Geoinformation at Vienna University of Technology. He is Editor of the Book Series “Lecture Notes on Geoinformation and Cartography” by Springer and Editor of the “Journal on LBS” by Taylor & Francis. He serves currently as Past President of the International Cartographic Association.

Georg is a true global citizen who has travelled around the world working for expanding opportunities for geospatial education for all. Georg has been a mentor and great colleague for me at the International Cartographic Association (ICA). Sometimes random meetings help shape future events and my first meeting with Georg was by sheer coincidence as I sat next to him for lunch during AutoCarto conference around 8 years back in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA. At that time Georg was the Chair of the ICA Commission on Maps and the Internet and I introduced myself and within few minutes we were discussing ideas for expanding research collaborations and organise Location Based Services conference in Nottingham! Georg is the founder of LBS conference series which was key to help establish LBS research and journals. His vision for establishing LBS research has always inspired me. His humility and helpfulness are great qualities that I greatly admire.

More details at http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/07/geoambassodor-professor-georg-gartner/

We will have further details in our next month's Newsletter.

So how can you contribute to enable geospatial education opportunities to all ? Everyone who is interested in enabling geospatial education opportunities to all are our GeoAmbassodors. It is not just the thousands of OSGeo members but also thousands of colleagues in ICA, ISPRS, UCGIS, AGILE, GSDI, AGS  who all work for Geoeducation opportunities for all who are our GeoAmbassodors.

Share the power of Geography https://vimeo.com/22069904  This is a wonderful introductory video that can be used by all colleagues globally to promote GIS at all levels and is developed by one of our founder labs SIGTE, University of Girona

Share the resources that are available from OSGeo Live to MapStory to Teacher Training resources   (developed thanks to the contributions to thousands of volunteers) all available free and open to all at http://www.geoforall.org/training/  to colleagues globally and be our GeoAmbassodors.

Let us work together work together to support open principles in education and enable Geo technologies in empowering communities and helping improving the Quality of Life and standards of living for everyone. Let us all work together to help create a world that is more accessible, equitable and full of innovation and opportunities for everyone.

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr. Suchith Anand
http://www.geoforall.org/

Geo for All - Building and expanding Open Geospatial Science

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.