[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Funding code Sprints

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Sun Mar 6 09:25:30 PST 2016

Helena,

There are a lot of "essential part of open source projects." I think it's worth discussing what those parts are. As you noted, there are ways to improve things. I also believe it would be good to apply some metrics that help to evaluate progress. At least we should be describing (and analyzing) what works, why it works, and how it might be improved. I would like to see the history of success stories, describing what was achieved and how. This would allow others to benefit and possibly improve the process (even relish and advance the specific code).

We hear talk and words declaring success, but can we point to specifics? And even more the recipe for that success. I'm glad to 'hear' we are succeeding, but in the events you use to describe the success, I see only a lot of feel-good and self-congratulation, which is wonderful, sincerely. But there seems no description of what was produced code-wise. I think we are telling ourselves we are doing good, but I'm not sure we are doing that good. I do not doubt the sincerity or the level of effort. I'm just of the mind that it might be improved upon and possibly even better applied. More than:

Agenda - What we plan to do.
Note: The program is generally open for your ideas. Please edit this wiki page!
Topics:
1. GRASS-QGIS interfaces: what's needed for a better GRASS GIS 7 integration
2. Interfaces to other OSGeo projects as being present in the code sprint room
3. g.extension: add gitlab+github support (maybe just a few lines in Python?)
4.   ...

I will try to make this my last exchange. I have, in my poor attempt, tried to carefully express what I consider worth saying. I sense this community considers what it is doing is just fine and dandy as it is, without need for any critique or introspection. So, in the words of Romeo to his lusty colleagues on their way to the dance, 'I'll be the candleholder and look on.'

-Patrick