[OSGeo-Discuss] [Incubator] Should OSGeo accept "benevolent dictator" projects into OSGeo?

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:39:30 PDT 2016

> I tend to agree with Patrick's position. I think what matters in the end is
> the license the code is released, as long as forking is allowed, whether is
> a committee or a single person taking decisions about developing may lead or
> may not to a successful project according to several factors, one being the
> leader, but also the quality of the product, the competitors on the market
> and so on.. there are so many variables involved, that excluding a project
> only based on that seems to me a little shortsighted (no offense intended).
> Also, wording is important! no one loves dictators!! But everyone love
> people who take responsibility and accountability for their job.

Totally agree with this. Licenses is what really matters in my opinion as well.
And I agree wording could be improved, but now this is a long term
definition and it needs to be accepted.
Also note that most of OSGeo projects would not exists if they were
not using underlying software from projects generated with a BDFL
model.

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net