[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: Incubation, osgeo-EU and FOSS4G

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Thu May 12 04:44:56 PDT 2016

Jeroen
>From your answer I understand that I probably didn't express correctly my
view.

I never underestimate companies, nor government, nor acdemia, nor ngo.
My idea is that OSGeo should be neutral to sectors, providing room for
members to develop and push bussiness how they want. But it should not be
the foundatuon mandate make bussiness and making lobby. It should provide a
neutral space to promote foss in all its declinations. That's why when i
hear of an osgeo europe focused on business i don't like it, European
companies whose members belong to the community should do it not osgeo,
maybe forming a business committee not forking the foundation.
Member are people, some use their unpaid time, some use their paid time
because it overlap their work interests, some are from private sector, some
from gov and some prom academia. All are important and none is more
important with respect to others.

I do not underestimate companeies, but you don't have to undervalue orher
ecosystems.