[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Incubation, osgeo-EU and FOSS4G

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:43:31 PDT 2016

Going to return to one of your points on the discussion list, since it is
an excellent idea.

OSGEO(EU)

OSGeo is a bit more than an international organization, and a lot more than
just an American not-for-profit. It is our plan as a community to foster
regional representation with local chapters. If a european local chapter
forms, and incorporates in order to be more effective at outreach in the
region - that is absolutely great.

The second (vertical) part of our plan involves teaming up with like minded
organizations/initiatives. If helping the EU can be better done with an
organization on the ground in Europe so much the better (and I am glad we
have that flexibility - indeed it is a reason why we have that flexibility).

We want to bring open source to those that can benefit and participate. By
doing our best as a community to dress up in the appropriate clothes/legal
structure we can better focus on the message of freedom (and not the
messenger which is a distraction).