[OSGeo-Discuss] Tales from a Benevolent Dictator

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sun May 15 06:30:32 PDT 2016

On 15/05/16 14:40, Marco Afonso wrote:
> Hi Anita,
>
> Aha! So there is a ponderation weight on software quality evaluation AND
> project organization evaluation.
>
> So you can exclude an open source software with high quality if their
> organization evaluation is low.
>
> For me that seems wrong. A software on a public repository is only
> limited by it's licence terms, or unlimited at all. :)

But the discussion is not about whether the software should be in a
public repository or not, or what the licence term should be. The
discussion is about what the meaning of the "OSGeo project" label is.

I don't think anyone has questioned the quality of the software, here.
However, one of the aims of labeling a project an OSGeo project is to
give a certain level of guarantee to potential users that this software
_project_ respects a series of criteria that are considered important to
ensure a long-term sustainability of that project. Putting one person's
name in the statutes of a project and designating that person as the one
who has ultimate decision rights (even if these decisions are always
based on quality criteria), leaves the question of what would happen if
that person lands under the proverbial bus.

A more collective governance structure is seen by many as more
sustainable in the long run. Similar debates have gone on for ages in
Debian, for example, about team-based maintaining of packages vs
individual maintainers.

What I personally haven't really understood, yet, is what the rasdaman
community is really afraid of. If the community works as well as
described, why would the creation of a PSC-like structure create such
problems ?

Moritz