[OSGeo-Discuss] Tales from a Benevolent Dictator

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Sun May 15 09:40:25 PDT 2016

Marco,

I think you have missed the point of my tales, both the projects that I
wrote about are open source (by any definition) but only the one with an
open organisation is thriving.

OSGeo is designed to support open and sustainable development of geospatial
solutions. A benevolent dictatorship is a fragile model of governance and
so can not be acceptable to us as a foundation.

The (perceived) quality of the software is of no importance in this
discussion if the project fails due to a lack of community.

Ian

PS open hub notes geotools has 241 contributors if we are measuring success
in these metrics.