[OSGeo-Discuss] [Incubator] Should OSGeo accept "benevolent dictator" projects into OSGeo?

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Mon May 2 00:35:25 PDT 2016

Before commenting further I suggest to put the paragraph that is being
discussed on top of the email - benevolent dictator sounds much worse than
what is being proposed.

The Governance model includes a statement:
"In all issues, the PSC strives to achieve unanimous consent based on a
free, independent exchange of facts and opinions. Should such consent
exceptionally not be reached then Peter Baumann has a casting vote."
http://www.rasdaman.org/wiki/Governance

This sounds pretty inclusive to me it but it seems to me that it needs to
be reformulated - it does not say how do you measure whether you have
consent (the discussions on dev issues can get pretty messy and open ended)
- you really need to have a vote on that which is what Cameron has
suggested.

Helena

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be
> wrote:

> On 01/05/16 13:29, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> This is kind of a larger topic than just the incubation committee, but
>> no I do not believe we should. It is a defining characteristic of our
>> foundation to not place many restrictions on our projects - but demand
>> that the projects be inclusive and open to collaboration.
>>
>> I do not believe that the "benevolent dictator" fits this ideal.
>>

> +1
>
> Moritz

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208