[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: Incubation, osgeo-EU and FOSS4G

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Thu May 12 06:46:57 PDT 2016

First of all,
I want to thank Jeroen for his testimonial and sharing his experiences.

I 've taken some initiative for the formation of a OSGeo Europe Local
chapter, so I follow this thread very close.

It is not so simple to find the time to formulate my thoughts on this
discussion, but here is my 0,001€c:

- I think Maxi, I am almost completely on the same wavelength as what
you describe in your mail. But I think that, as an organisation of
individuals, it is important to maintain partnerships with other
organisations and to promote and support open source initiatives where
we can.
First of all, the European Local Chapter, will not be focussed on
businesses, but on EU specific regulations and opportunities.

As Jeroen (and others), and you admit it too, business is one of the
stakeholders of our society, so it is important for OSGeo, as an
organisation to promote initiatives that want to organise themselves
around open source business.
It is not the task or the role of OSGeo to do so however, but we should
(and we do) encourage these initiatives.

I think there is a lack of contactpoint in Europe from OSGeo as a legal
entity to talk and partner with other EU-based initiatives.

I hope and do encourage that the different OSGeo SME's in Europe will
take initiatives to organise themselves in stronger entities, and I want
to support these initiatives from a OSGeo perspective, just in the same
sense OSGeo encourage initiatives such as LocationTech, which is an
initiative from a group of companies working together around open source
initiatives, but not necessary the right organisation for the many small
(Geo)-SME's in Europe.

I hope this makes it more clear to you, and I hope you see this is in
line with the vision and mission of our organisation.

Sincerely,
Dirk

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne