[OSGeo-Discuss] Tales from a Benevolent Dictator

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon May 16 04:20:57 PDT 2016

Hi,

concerning Software Quality Assurance Metrics, some notes on the GRASS
GIS project on which such software metrics were applied in the past.

Here some selected papers which we published on the matter:
* Di Penta, M, M. Neteler, G. Antoniol, E. Merlo, 2005: A
Language-Independent Software Renovation Framework. Journal of Systems
and Software, 77(3), pp. 225-240.
http://staff.rcost.unisannio.it/mdipenta/papers/jss2005.pdf

* Antoniol, G., M. Di Penta, and M. Neteler, 2003. Moving to smaller
libraries via clustering and genetic algorithms. In CSMR 2003, 7th
IEEE European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering,
Proc. IEEE omputer Society, 307-316.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.58.988&rep=rep1&type=pdf

* Di Penta, M., M. Neteler, G. Antoniol and E. Merlo, 2002. Knowledge
Based Library Refactoring for an Open Source Project. IEEE Working
Conference on Reverse Engineering WCRE, Oct. 28 - Nov. 1, Richmond,
Virginia, USA. Proc. IEEE Computer Society, pp. 319-328.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.4.4165&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Using an automated approach, we identified cloned code (which easily
happens in a software project which started decades back in 1982),
reducing the overall code while reaching better code quality.
In addition, we refactored all source code from K&R C notation to ANSI
C (given roughly 1 million lines of code, the SVN commit took a few
hours back then :-).

Cheers,
Markus

--