[OSGeo-Discuss] Tales from a Benevolent Dictator

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Wed May 18 04:29:19 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> What I personally haven't really understood, yet, is what the rasdaman
> community is really afraid of. If the community works as well as described,
> why would the creation of a PSC-like structure create such problems ?
>
> Moritz

This is indeed the only issue. Nobody questions the quality of
rasdaman. Personally I would love to see the project under the OSGeo
umbrella. I expect an explosion of high spectrum raster data in the
coming years, so also an explosion in software usage. Rasdaman has
been setting the standards, also at ISO and OGC, so it is logical to
look to them first. The decision OSGeo project or not is black/white,
but this really does not mean that OSGeo does not like Rasdaman or its
contributors. We just don't like one part of their governance.

To the point:

I really don't see what Rasdaman can loose by having a PSC which takes
decisions by majority. And you know what? In fact Peter will still
have a final say if it is not in the procedure. Because he employs the
majority of the PSC.
We have a similar situation in geomajas, FDO and mapguide. If Autodesk
decides that mapguide should be reimplemented in java or Dirk Frigne
decides that geomajas should be implemented in .net, it will happen.
Even if the PSC disagrees. Because they fund the project. Whether they
should still remain OSGeo projects if that happens is another thing.

I think we can have the same thing for Rasdaman. Rasdaman gmbh keeps
the trademark, so in the *highly unlikely* situation that Peter wants
to go another direction than the PSC, he can. And at that point we can
discuss whether it should still remain an OSGeo project. In the mean
time, why not (if they accept the majority PSC rule)?

Kind Regards,
Johan