[OSGeo-Discuss] Hackathon: building fully open climatic monitoring system [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Sun Oct 23 15:28:11 PDT 2016

Hi Massimiliano,

I will be very interested to see how this initiative develops. It overlaps with a couple of the areas that I'm working in.

One of the hats that I wear is as Co-chair of the Expert Team - Climate Data Management Systems (ET-CDMS).  ET-CDMS is sponsored by the World Meteorological Organisation's Commission for Climatology.

Within ET-CDMS, we are aiming to provide guidance on the functionality that is expected within modern Climate Data Management Systems.

We have released WMO #1131, Climate Data Management System Specifications [1]. This is the initial version of this document aimed at providing climate data managers, and IT Architects with an overview of where we need to head in order to get consistent climate data (and federated climate data services) to support future climate data analysis.  More work on WMO #1131 is planned and also underway, with an initial focus on software developers.

You may find WMO #1131 of use to support your Hackathon.

On another note, there is some preliminary planning work underway aimed at establishing an open source CDMS called Open-CDMS that is intended to provide the functionality described by WMO #1131. We're not ready to publicise this, at this stage. What I can say is that we're aiming to re-use quality open source projects where possible. If anyone is interested in helping us with the preliminary planning, please contact me off-line.

Bruce

[1] http://library.wmo.int/opac/index.php?lvl=notice_display&id=16300