[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo and Open Data?

Codrina Maria Ilie codrina at geo-spatial.org
Wed Oct 19 09:21:59 PDT 2016

Dear all,

Probably the best argument for the strong connection between the
'software development foundation' we fundamentally are and data is the
talk Arnulf gave at FOSS4G Bonn: Software comes and goes. Mind the Data!
[https://vimeo.com/187556741]. Furthermore, I believe that the affinity
between the philosophy of open source and open data is indisputable.

That being said, I would like to mention a discussion me and Vasile
prepared and facilitated within the workshop 'Open data priorities and
engagement — identifying data sets for publication'
[https://www.w3.org/2013/share-psi/workshop/Timisoara/agenda].

Context: workshop organized within the share PSI 2.0 project: The
network for innovation in European public sector information
[https://www.w3.org/2013/share-psi/].

The name of our session was Free our Maps and the preparation can be
found here
[https://www.w3.org/2013/share-psi/wiki/images/b/b5/Abstract_free_our_maps.pdf].
Notes take by Ingo Simonis fron OGC can be found here
[https://www.w3.org/2013/share-psi/workshop/Timisoara/Freemaps]. The
issues we tried to tackle there were identified during the work we did
in the http://geoidea.ro/ project, a project for catalyzing and pushing
forward the open gov geodata initiative in Romania.

Warm regards,
Codrina