[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo and Open Data?

Adam Steer Adam.Steer at anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 20 20:27:45 PDT 2016

Hi, speaking as:

- a new player in the OSgeo world
- a person occupying a desk in an agency tasked with publishing data (fulfilling Gert-Jan’s point 3)

…and repeating other voices here - I see some form of data advocacy as really useful in OSgeo world, in particular in uptake of data sources for applications. A really quick example is something like the QGIS openlayers plugin. Awesome tool, but how do developers decide which data to include? Preferably reliable, easy to work with, standards-based, self-describing data. And how did it happen? Some developers saw a bunch of reliable data that could be applied in a useful way and developed something. Yin and yang so to speak - and agreeing a lot with Jody’s point of view.

I also agree with Benoit - data quality and accessibility issues apply to all forms of data - which makes good metadata and provenance information critical in deciding how to use data that are available (ie, is it possible to find the documents describing how the data were made? how can you find QA/QC information on the data?).

So what did the OSgeo geodata committee do previously? and what would/could it do if it were woken up? (feel free to contact me off list to discuss that)

Cheers, I hope this discussion continues :)

Adam