[OSGeo-Discuss] Campaign statement for Vasile Craciunescu

Vasile Craciunescu vasile at geo-spatial.org
Tue Sep 27 22:06:49 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Apologies for being the last candidate to express a campaign statement.
We are busy here organizing our sixteen FOSS4G Romania. Please read my
statement bellow or at
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2016_Candidate_Manifestos#Vasile_Cr.C4.83ciunescu.

Best,
Vasile

*About me*

I'm a researcher in the geospatial realm and I'm here because is my
belief that sharing knowledge is the way to make it on this planet. I
attended my first FOSS4G in 2006, in Lausanne, and that change my life
in many ways, not only professionally. Since then, I got involved in the
community activities, I attended all the FOSS4G conferences and I did my
best to give back as much as possible.

*My vision*

I share the vision defined by the board during my previous term "Empower
everyone with open source geospatial".

*What you have done within the community in the past*

- In 2006 I started geo-spatial.org (http://geo-spatial.org - the
Romanian OSGeo local chapter), a collaborative effort by and for the
Romanian community to facilitate the sharing of geospatial knowledge and
the discovery and publishing of free geographic datasets and maps. Under
this umbrella I was part of the team that organized 16 national FOSS4G
events.

- Co-founder of the first Romanian ICA-OSGeo Lab at the Faculty of
Geography - University of Bucharest;

- Chairmen of the FOSS4G Central and Eastern Europe 2013. Organizing
committee member of FOSS4G-Europe 2014. General Track committee chair of
FOSS4G-Europe 2015;

- Served as member of the Conference Committee since 2013;

- Acted as CRO for the 2015 charter members and board members elections
and 2016 charter member elections;

- Served in the OSGeo Board of Directors for the last two years.

*What your interests are in terms of the board*

- For years I'm working with European institutions like European
Commission, European Space Agency, Joint Research Centre, EUMETSAT. All
these institutions are using our software and they are funding open
source geospatial software development. It's natural to have a strong
partnership with this kind of institutions and I'm willing to work on this.

- Support the educational initiatives;

- Keep OSGeo a inclusive and friendly organization;

- Defend our values and spirit;

- Have fun while working for OSGeo;

*Any things that you would like to change or introduce*

- Change the Charter members election mechanism;

- Find ways to make the FOSS4G conference more accessible, especially to
the developing countries;

*What role you would wish to fulfil on the board (if any)*

- Liaise with relevant European institutions.