[OSGeo-Discuss] Geo4All - Empowering academics and educators globally - requesting colleagues to share Geo4All ideas at Geography Awareness Week

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 5 04:43:52 PDT 2016

Hi Henrique,

Thank you for your mail. I am finding it difficult to understand your exact aims as in your previous mail you mention that there is some license fees for your tools [1] and now you mention they are free, open and libre. Will these conditions keep changing?   Also if what you are proposing is  a potential standard for orientation , then you should be talking to organisations like OGC.

So first please clarify what exactly is your aim ?

Geo4All is fully inclusive and welcome ideas for involving more user groups. So any opportunity to engage more with  visually impaired user groups will be greatly welcome. In fact, in ICA  there is a Commission on Maps and Graphics for Blind and Partially Sighted People?? [1]  which i think will be a really good way to proactively engage with the community. I will email the chair of this commission and explore how Geo4All can further world-wide co-operation, communication and education in the use of maps and graphics by blind and visually-impaired people.

For education it is important  that all tools that Geo4All  endorse are fully open and free. It is not just software, it is also the open educational materials, open data etc that we are interested. We will welcome any opportunity to make us more inclusive. You can email the Geo4All Advisory Board (cc in) your suggestions/ideas .

Best wishes,

Suchith

btw  Education is about true empowerment of young minds. It should not be aimed for getting new consumers!

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2016-August/016476.html

[2] http://visualdisabilities.wixsite.com/icahome