[OSGeo-Discuss] GODAN Action: Webinar on Capacity Development - "Publishing open data from an organisational point of view" - on April 20, 2017 at 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM BST

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Thu Apr 13 13:48:44 PDT 2017

Suchith,

An age old problem, a terrifying imbalance between haves and have-nots with children ending up paying the dearest price. Our ^moral^ imperative whether Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or Jew is the same golden rule around the world, yet reality has corrupted circumstance to be the exact opposite, the banana-grabbing chimp-mentality promotes profit over parity. So apparently we do not take ourselves very seriously.

Diminishing agricultural resources, especially given the global shift in our hydrologic system, particularly in areas already on the edge of subsistence, leads to increasing conflict. When there is less to fight over, the fight intensifies, further exacerbating the proverbial 'circle of life.'

GODAN sure has it right idea, Global Open Data is the essential key for enhancing Agriculture and Nutrition. I listened to the presentation, but there still seems some initial targets yet to be defined.

I am not sure if these are the right questions, but we need to ask specifically for what data we want:
Have we identified the data types needed?
Possible sources from the current satellite resources?
(i.e., vegetation, then of course weather: current, medium and long range projections)
Web apps to leverage that data based on highly localized areas to directly serve individual farmers.
Data storage for upload of small local data, let the farmers contribute (via cell phone).
Maybe a GODAN Forum where farmers could ask each other questions about practices, pests or other.

-Patrick