[OSGeo-Discuss] Welcoming all proprietary GIS labs to migrate to Open Principles in GeoEducation

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 08:08:06 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

I had a query recently on if a university lab backed by some proprietary GIS vendors can start moving to open principles in Geoeducation[1]  . I replied that very definitely .In fact many of our GeoForAll university labs (even just few years back!) were using proprietary GIS software ONLY before they switched to Open principles to ensure open innovation . All universities are welcome to start downloading all OSGeo software and install in your lab machines as you wish. You don't need any ones permission to install OSGeo software and teach your students . It is good to show students both proprietary and open solutions, so they start appreciating the importance of open solutions for innovation.  It will also help build open minds for students and contribute to open knowledge. We also welcome all academics and educators to give away OSGeo live DVDs [2] to your students. Freedom is a fundamental right.

We look forward to help this  migration of former properitery GIS only labs to move to Open Principles in Geospatial Science education. Thanks to all OSGeo volunteers who helped make tools like QGIS  available free to all schools worldwide forever.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geoforall/2017-July/003959.html
[2] https://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html