[OSGeo-Discuss] Invitation to join us to work together for Global Food Security

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Aug 14 02:47:59 PDT 2017

Dear colleague,

I would like to  invite you to join the GeoForAll AgriGIS thematic that is lead by Dr Didier Leibovici and Dr. Nobusuke Iwasaki ( National Institute for Agro-Environmental Sciences , Japan) and contribute your expertise  to advance Agriculture knowledge sharing globally.

Building upon the research that me and my colleagues did for “Geospatial binding for transdisciplinary research in crop science: the GRASPgfs initiative" [1], http://rdcu.be/uYi6    I would like to invite all interested to join us for expanding AgriGIS research based on  open philosophy.  Geospatial genetic-trait variations and associations with environmental forecasting were the main focus of the GRASPgfs. Designing the platform achieving this objective generated a transdisciplinary vision of modelling and forecasting for sustainable agriculture. Based on interoperability principles, seamless access as well as sharing for data, metadata and processing models,the design is described in this paper. This geospatial binding facilitates and supports new types of hypotheses and analysis as illustrated in the paper with a landscape genetic case study (bambara groundnut) and a crop disease modelling (eyespot disease). The approach and the eGRASP platform are generic enough to accommodate further complexity into the integrated modelling that this geospatial binding enables.

You can get some overview of GRASP from AgriGIS workshop that we held at Nottingham https://rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/AgriGIS2014.pdf

We are also contributing to RDA's Agriculture Data IG and i have presented our work at the RDA Agriculture IG sessions looking into Geospatial interoperability in Agriculture research.

https://rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/GRASP_GFS_for_RDA_Dublin2014.pdf

Geospatial interoperability and open source standards-based GIS and open data will help deliver holistic solutions in geospatial technologies in AgriGIS by enabling the ready integration of separate location relevant technologies and lowering costs. The expanding range of open source GIS tools and open data will greatly enhance the use of geospatial technologies in agriculture and facilitates the sharing of information across various stakeholders and collaborative work.

BBSRC Funded GRASP is a good example of open philosophy (open source, open standards, open data, open access ) in AgriGIS research and now with over 100 dedicated Open Source Geospatial Labs already been established in universities and research organisations around the world as part of the "Geo for All" initiative we are now expanding research in AgriGIS through our global research labs for this, so please join us at https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geoforall-agrigis    AND let us work together to support open principles in Agriculture research to deal with the urgent challenge of ensuring world food security.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] Leibovici D , Anand S,  Santos R, et al. "Geospatial binding for transdisciplinary research in crop science: the GRASPgfs initiative”, Open Geospatial Data, Software and Standards  (2017) 2:20
DOI 10.1186/s40965-017-0034-3 ; Full paper downed at http://rdcu.be/uYi6

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.