[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal for the listing of projects in our new web site

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Tue Aug 22 01:58:29 PDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Polimi <maria.brovelli at polimi.it> wrote:

> 1) in my opinion the size matters and it is not in se something negative
> to be a small startup or company instead of a big one. Anyway, as JeffJ
> said, if somebody is alienated we can skip it. We have just to better
> discuss this 'if'.

Just sharing my two cents...

>From a project/community standpoint one wants to put front and center the
people, companies and
organizations that are the lifeblood of the community, those that are
contributing code, documentation,
advocating and helping users. Personally I'd keep it as a primary
classifier, failing to do so might divert
financial resources from the parts of the community that deserve and need
it the most.

>From the standpoint of an organization looking for a provider, size may
also be important, a larger company
typically has a better financial footing (mandatory in certain types of
contracts), and possibly a more diversified experience
among its ranks. Also, it might happen that the customer is looking for a
certain experience with the provider
(e.g, matching or getting closer to its own size, or looking for the more
industrial vs the more "boutique"
approach).
So... what about reporting the size of the company among the other
information, even if it is
not the primary classifier? The size could be reported as classes to lessen
the chore of maintaing such
information (e.g, "1-5", "5-20", "20-50", "50+", just thinking out loud
here)

Cheers
Andrea

==
GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V
for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.