[OSGeo-Discuss] "Hostile Takeover" -- what do we mean by this?

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 30 06:54:26 PDT 2017

I think that Sara’s suggestion for change in language is good and we should definitely consider it, but if you would like to learn more about this issue this article explains this specifically for nonprofits
http://charitylawyerblog.com/2010/10/25/nonprofit-coup-detat/ <http://charitylawyerblog.com/2010/10/25/nonprofit-coup-detat/>

and in 2006 when OSGeo was founded, the sierra club case was still in fresh memory
(just google sierra club hostile takeover and you will get a load of articles).

Helena

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 3:47 AM, Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Sara,
>
> without having a deep knowledge of decision took at higher levels,
> IMHO OS and particularly OSGEO worlds were already faced this kind of
> "hostile takeover". Not necessarly as "takeover" but trying to do some
> product protocols as OGC standards (think to lidar formats, map
> servers corporate products years ago).
> We are in a historical phase with GFOSS is growing more and more,
> probably stressing his "almost" horizontal nature to something new...
> but what is this "new" or "different"?
> In QGIS world, probably due the nature of historical components
> (mostly europeans), we structured the organization also to
> avoid/reduce these hostile effects... is this a intercultural
> difference or a real think to be aware?
>
> tnx to rise up this aspect.
>
> Luigi Pirelli

> * Boundless QGIS Support/Development: lpirelli AT boundlessgeo DOT com
> * LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
> * Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
> * GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
> * Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:
> * https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition
>

> On 28 August 2017 at 18:41, Sara Safavi <sara at sarasafavi.com> wrote:
>> Hi discuss,
>>
>> In the notification emails from CRO to new charter member nominees, the
>> following is included (emphasis mine):
>>
>> "(Charter Members) have the following responsibilities: (1) annually vote
>> for OSGeo Board Members; (2) annually vote for new OSGeo Charter Members and
>> (3) be aware of and protect against a hostile takeover of OSGeo."
>>
>> I have had more than one nominee of mine contact me asking what exactly this
>> means. I agree with their concerns: this is strange language to use, is not
>> reflected in our bylaws, and frankly does not fit the image I presented when
>> I first contacted them asking if they would accept a nomination.
>>
>> It may be a language barrier or simply a misunderstanding, but can we
>> clarify what is meant by using this kind of verbiage, and consider a
>> re-wording?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sara

Helena Mitasova