[OSGeo-Discuss] "Hostile Takeover" -- what do we mean by this?

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 07:33:53 PDT 2017

Hi,

If I may still chime in, I don't think this keeps the meaning of what was
originally intended, I would add diversity to integrity. In an extreme
example, if you consider the risk of green aliens taking over osgeo, those
aliens may have integrity and still if they are too many, they would
naturally start to represent the interest of their planet. Diversity is
IMHO what would keep the balance.

My 0.02€

Il giorno mer 30 ago 2017 alle 06:35 Sara Safavi <sara at sarasafavi.com> ha
scritto:

> Coming back to this discussion; thank you all who chimed in with more
> information.
>
> With the words of wisdom from Frank, Jody, and others -- is it fair to say
> that Charter Members have the responsibility of voting, as well as
> "preserving the integrity of the OSGeo Foundation"? That seems a less,
> well, hostile, way to express the main idea that seems to have come out of
> this discussion.
>

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Sara Safavi <sara at sarasafavi.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi discuss,
>>
>> In the notification emails from CRO to new charter member nominees, the
>> following is included (emphasis mine):
>>
>> *"(Charter Members) have the following responsibilities: (1) annually
>> vote for OSGeo Board Members; (2) annually vote for new OSGeo Charter
>> Members and (3) be aware of and protect against a hostile takeover of
>> OSGeo."*
>>
>> I have had more than one nominee of mine contact me asking what exactly
>> this means. I agree with their concerns: this is strange language to use,
>> is not reflected in our bylaws, and frankly does not fit the image I
>> presented when I first contacted them asking if they would accept a
>> nomination.
>>
>> It may be a language barrier or simply a misunderstanding, but can we
>> clarify what is meant by using this kind of verbiage, and consider a
>> re-wording?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sara

Margherita Di Leo