[OSGeo-Discuss] Seasons Greetings from GeoForAll

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Dec 20 01:46:31 PST 2017

Dear Dirk,

Thank you for your email.  I agree that we need to work more on the  GeoForAll website and I am in contact with Jody and others to update our website  to make the available educational resources that we have more visible in the new OSGeo website.

GeoForAll is a simple idea powered by a global community who are all working for a selfless aim on providing Open Education opportunities for all. As it is an idea it just keeps expanding and spreads through minds…

One of the important things i learnt during  my lectures and meetings with students worldwide (from USA to Europe  to Africa to India), is that the digital natives are very smart and can see through any vendor marketing agendas . They have a very global outlook and are keen to contribute to building a better world for everyone [1]. I remember talking to a student and asking her what GIS software she uses and her reply was "We use all different platforms to learn GIS but noone can trick us to  pay to buy GIS software when there is lot of free and open software now available" . This empowerment of students is exactly what we want.

"Geo for All" aims to create openness in Geo Education for developing creative and open minds in students which is critical for building open innovation and contributes to building up Open Knowledge for the benefit of the whole society and for our future generations.

The biggest Christmas gift for the GeoforAll community came from a Grade 10 student from the USA [2] who by serendipity came across GeoForAll and emailed us volunteering to help us.

Have happy holidays and come back refreshed in 2018 and keep spreading the GeoForAll ideas :-)

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2016-August/016456.html
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geoforall/2017-December/004438.html