[OSGeo-Discuss] Population statistics in GIS Softwares

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Jun 3 11:29:34 PDT 2017

You can get all the Ceneus polygon areas that they report statistics
about here:

ftp://ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2016/

ZCTA5 - Zip code tabulation areas
BG - block groups
etc

There is good documention. If you loade these into postgis, then you can
dos a simple query like:

select * from <table> where st_intersects(geom,
st_setsrid(st_makepoint(long, lat),4326);

Also PostGIS has a Tiger geocoder and you could load that up, and then
query to your hearts content.

-Steve W