[OSGeo-Discuss] tiling alternative

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jun 14 16:28:01 PDT 2017

On 6/14/2017 4:47 PM, Eduardo Kanegae wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I have the need for maps on hosted platforms without mapserver. I'm
> thinking in use Leaflet and tilesets (PNG for transparency) for that.
>
> What would be a practical to do that locally? (under an OSGeo Live
> workstation)
>
> MapNik? MapProxy? or should I try MapCache because my source services is
> under MapServer/WMS?

I've been using mapcache for years and it is great. Easy to setup, never
had any maintenance issues related to it, it is fast and does not
consume a lot of resources. It supports a lot of tile caches and
physical tile cache structures, lots of tile protocols, but requires WMS
for source data. If you are using apache I highly recommend it.

-Steve W

---