[OSGeo-Discuss] Is it possible for properitery GIS vendor to market thier properitery product as Open ?

Kiringai Kamau kiringai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 21:28:26 PDT 2017

Dear Suchith,

My opinion is that OSGeo defines the value chain orientation of open software to ensure customers.

This will help customers to understand the elements/components that are/should be open and which are value added contributions of the vendor. All value added innovations of the vendor can/should be the revenue stream that the community can advocate for, and campaign against exploitation of those that unwittingly become targets of unscrupulous vendors.

We can then leave the space of determining the value of the value added contribution to the private treaty of the two with the vendors encouraged to charge based on the intensity of the value add...

If a subcommittee on value added innovations goes not exist, then it behaves us to create one...we do need this very much in Africa.

Kiringai

Sent from my iPhone