[OSGeo-Discuss] board members candidates manifestos please

Sanghee Shin shshin at gaia3d.com
Wed Oct 11 15:31:36 PDT 2017

Hi all,
Sorry for the late posting this. We Koreans enjoyed Chuseok holidays(Harvest Festival) for 10 days.
Here are my manifestos mainly based on Steven’s questions.
• If you are standing for re-election - what roles have you taken in the last 2 years? what do you believe you have achieved and what has not worked as well as you hoped?
Recalling last 2 years as a board, it was great honor for me to have served as a board at OSGeo. However I also confess that it was not so pleasant experience as I expected. And it required much time than I initially thought. There were many endless debates and discussions all over the lists and I sometimes felt helpless being stuck in the endless maze having realized that Director’s role is setting Directions and sometimes time can fix the things.
At first please take a look at my manifestos from 2015 election https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2015_Candidate_Manifestos#Sanghee_Shin and my recent updates on my roles https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Face_to_Face_Meeting_Paris_2017#2._Director_Update here for my roles for the last 2 years.
Over the last 2 years I tried to bring in different views to OSGeo horizontally from Asia, vertically from business domains. Also I tried to put some efforts to increase the relationship with UN. I’m not sure whether the results out of my activities are satisfactory or not. I should admit that there were not so many chances to represent Asia’s view at the board level. It’s unclear if it is caused by Asia’s low activities or cultural/language barriers. However I’m very happy to see many vibrant local activities in Asia region over the last couple of years. As a businessman I tried to be more tolerant and permissive toward issues around OSGeo. Sometimes I saw the ‘Desire to the Innocence’ from the community. I’m confident we can grow more with more diverse views and impurities. This is far from the hostile takeover. Regarding the UN activities, I’m pleased to have played small set of role in developing a relationship with UN. As a result of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul’s UN special session, UN Open GIS Initiative officially started at the March of last year and I was designated as Chair of TAG(Technical Advisory Group of UN Open GIS Initiative) at the November of 2016. UN Open GIS Initiative is going well and hope UN could complete their plan soon with full operation of their system based on open source.
• All candidates - what role, specific topics would you like to work on within the board and why? what do you hope to contribute and achieve in the next 2 years?
I believe too much devotions and affections to OSGeo will harm both me and OSGeo. I’ll limit my contribution time to OSGeo and keep distances from the Foundation as much as I love OSGeo. By doing this I think I can have the 3rd person’s view toward the OSGeo. Anyway my first priority will be representing Asia’s voice, that’s the reason why many of my Asian friends asked me to run for the re-election. And as a non-developers and a businessman, I’d also like to bring in users/practitioners/business mind to the board level. As our foundation grow, we need to hear and reflect voices from members other than developers. Tangibly to say I would like to see 2 things in the next 2 years. First I’d like to see the successful completion of UN Open GIS Initiative, which is at Spiral 1 and 2 stage now. Second, I will encourage Asian people to actively jump in Foundation’s activity without shyness.
• If there was only 1 thing you could change in the next 2 years what would it be?
Many core parts of OSGeo project is being developed during the spare time of contributors. This could harm the sustainability of open source ecosystem and our foundation. One of my interest is how to make virtuous cycle within our ecosystem at least in our foundation, from developers to users/practitioners/businessman. Now we see that many companies and institutions get the profits/benefits using OSGeo projects. I believe some parts of those profits/benefits should be returned to real developers in some way. I have no concrete idea how to make this virtuous cycle work. But, I can share my experience here in Korea. Recently my company and other 11 Korean open source companies formed KAOS-G(Korea Alliance of Open Source Geospatial) as a legal entity. Unlike OSGeo, KAOS-G is a company alliance to capture the value by offering professional open source GIS to customers and return the profits, contribute back to the communities. It’s just start and experience however I expect some of good idea I can get from this KAOS-G activities.

I’ll update my manifestos to the wiki page soon.

May the FOSS & PEACE be with you & us all.

Kind regards,
신상희
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
www.gaia3d.com

보낸 사람: Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl
보낸 날짜: 2017년 10월 12일 목요일 오전 1:59
받는 사람: 'OSGeo Discussions'
참조: 'OSGeo CRO'
제목: [OSGeo-Discuss] board members candidates manifestos please

Hi all,

As a charter member, one of my main duties is to vote for the new Board.

In order to achieve this responsible task in a proper way, I do need to know the candidates personally
But I DO need to know what they stand for, what their ideas are towards OSGeo in general, and their ideas about a role in the Board.

We're almost halfway the campaign week, and until now only 2 (Vicky and Maria) out of 9 candidates supplied me on [1] with some information.
That's far from enough to have a campaign, let alone to cast my vote.

So, I'd like to invite Astrid, Venka, Jody, Sanghee, Helena, Dirk and Jeff to write down their manifestos on [1].
Even if it's just copying and pasting from previous years, although I hardly can imagine that the development in the past 12 months (especially on the marketing aspect) isn't influencing your actual point of view on our organization.

Kind regards from a "willing-to-vote-member" in the Lowlands,

Gert-Jan

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2017_Candidate_Manifestos