[OSGeo-Discuss] Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

Rob Emanuele rdemanuele at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 09:32:36 PDT 2017

Hi Toshikazu, Nick,

Despite the fact that I have not been around long enough or have not been
in the right places to see directly a lot of the impact that Jeff has had
on the community, it's very clear from many accounts that he has been an
amazing and important figure in OSGeo (a Sol Katz award speaks very clearly
to this!). However I feel remiss if I don't point out the following
observation: as a newer member to the OSGeo community in the past couple of
years, I've seen some intense and surprising conflict happen on the mailing
lists that were centered around or included Jeff, which played out in ways
that I believe were not good for community, and were also not healing in
their conclusions.

If there is a custom of only speaking positively on someone's nomination
thread, then I apologize. I do not want to detract from praise that is well
deserved. Is there a more appropriate place talk through, address and
hopefully dismiss reservations about a nominee, and to also call for
answers to the questions Cameron has posted?

Thanks,
Rob