[OSGeo-Discuss] Charter members and local chapters (was: RE: Board Candidate Manifestos: 3 questions)

Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Thu Oct 12 14:00:46 PDT 2017

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for your answer to my question.

Regarding the number (9) of charter members in the Dutch local chapter:

By time we started the local chapter there were just 3 charter members, I guess.

To my opinion in regard to setting up and running a local chapter being an OSGeo.org charter member is of no (that is: zero) importance.

Charter membership is an OSGeo.org category, not related to the Dutch organisation.

>From my point of view, OSgeo.org charter membership is more like a sort of title, given to people who in the past few year have made themselves in one way or another valuable for the OSGeo community.

In our local chapter we have a sort of loose membership,  which is simply a fact of writing your name on the wiki. (by this time 126).

In daly life, that list is just one of 3 indicators of connectivity; the Dutch mailinglists holds some 240 people (mostly developer-oriented) and our Meetup group has 329 members (mainly end-user based)

The Dutch local chapter is a legal foundation, and foundations simply don't  have such a thing as membership. As opposed to associations.

The German speaking chapter (FOSSGIS), for instance is organized as a association, and thus has formal members (who pay an annual fee).

Kinds regards,

Gert-Jan