[OSGeo-Discuss] Rewording the diversity argument

Marc Vloemans marcvloemans1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 00:01:54 PDT 2017

Dear all,

Please notice that the concept of diversity is not about equal numbers/quota's. That has and will backfire as it misses the point and easily degrades individual achievements.

It is essentially about 'inclusiveness'!

I am trying to be sensitive to the European way of approaching the matter versus the American way. 'Diversity' as a term carries different connotations/values/interpretations for different cultures.
Therefore I rather talk about 'inclusiveness' as everyone has felt left out at least once. So is able to relate to how that feels.

Are we inviting and welcoming everyone that adds value in some way or is genuinely interested in OSGeo?
Do we truly have the 'open' culture we pride ourselves on (e.g. past email treads attacking individuals could suggest differently)?
Please, lets work on that, keep each other sharp and avoid window dressing.

Kind regards,
Marc Vloemans