[OSGeo-Discuss] Elections 2017: roles and positions

Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Mon Oct 16 23:03:59 PDT 2017

Hi all,

One of the questions asked to our nominees to write down in their Manifesto
is "which role you wish to fulfil in the Board".

Apparently  a though question, since not answered by some candidates.

Only Vicky hinted towards wanting to be an officer (Chair of the Board,
President, Secretary, Treasurer [1]); she stated in her response "I don't
want to handle money, which I interpret as not wanting to be treasurer).

However, when reading more about the Officers in our Bylaws [1] two things
struck me:

1.  "Chair of the Board" and "President" are two different positions.

That makes sense: they require different skills. The Chair  must be able to
keep the Board on track, whereas the President has more of an outreach role,
making sure the community members are feeling comfortable, making sure "the
guy in the back" is also reached.

2. An Officer does not have to be member Director (=Board Member) > OK, I
should have know this, with Jachym being secretary while not being member of
the Board of Directors.

Although these elections are about membership, I'd like to ask the
candidates if they have a preference for a certain officer position?

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html
(Article V)

Gert-Jan van der Weijden

Stichting OSGeo.nl