[OSGeo-Discuss] Costly FOSS4Gs

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Tue Oct 17 03:36:45 PDT 2017

Hans,

I fully agree,

A great asset for a board member (but this is true for every OSGeo
member) is the ability to think from the perspective of 'the other'. If
you are a public servant, think as a small business owner or a
scientific researcher. If you are employed by a university, think as if
you have to make your living out of open source software. If you are a
business owner, think how you can collaborate with others and return
value and results back to the community.

We should work on this so we, as a community adopt this respectfully way
of thinking.

If we start to understand the dynamics of what an open source community
is all about, we should be able to experiment with next steps, and I
think these next steps are necessary.
The goal should be to keep the software stacks that we have today
healthy and create a dynamic interaction to work on the future needs for
supporting the Geo industry. We will need all the current members and
adopters for that, and we should continue to be successfull in outreach
activities.
On a FOSS4G conference, we should not only give talks and workshops
about the projects from our communities, we should also explain what
OSGeo is all about, embrace new visitors (first time foss4g ...) and
organise topic talks that are cross project initiatives where the
members can learn to help each other and form the vision of OSGeo.

A lot has to be done if we want to bring our OSGeo community to the next
level.

my2c
Dirk

On 17-10-17 09:56, Hans Gregers Hedegaard Petersen wrote:
> Dear Arnulf, all,
>
>> if we want to compete then we have to play the game. Party is great but the money is not in the party and fun part. The money sits in large corps and governments. Folks coming from there are not expected to party or hang out and have fun. They are expected to see the bleeding edge technology first hand, learn about the reliability of Open Source and Free Software licensing and learn about the leading businesses in that domain. Companies who choose to support FOSS4G with their sponsorship and come to the global big business FOSS4G industry event. Honor them. Honor those who organize those events. Consider paying them professional rates instead of burning them out and then complain that they have left.
>
> As a consultant that has had big entities (companies/governments) use
> FOSS in their platforms - and sponsor consulting and development from
> core developers - I agree at least to some of the above (I would guess
> it is indended as a caricature anyways). It is often important for at
> least my clients, that they can meet and greet the people and
> companies behind the work (it is important, as it is often the result
> of the very[!] long journey of getting to understand, that there is no
> "MapServer-company", no 300 page EULA, after legal has commented on
> the use of weird licenses etc). They want to see were the money goes.
>
> In my experience they do not expect a grand show with sponsored lions,
> elephants, and champagne - what they do expect is a "professional"
> conference. The professional conference has a certain shine and style
> that they can relate to from their visits to other conferences (with
> way larger budgets). The global FOSS4Gs *are* those conferences.
>
> The global FOSS4gs are big enough to get lost in - remember as a
> newcomer who is aware that you are certainly not like 'the group,' a
> small and cozy pizza party can provoke anxiety - we have all been
> there as children, and can get there as adults too. When the
> conference is big enough, it is OK for us to do our little small talk
> maneuvers, it is OK for us to not fit in.
>
> The global FOSS4Gs has a number and mix of talks, workshops, and
> "conference stuff" that shines a light on the size and professionalism
> of the community behind the software - we all need to believe that we
> are being taken care of, or said in another way that we are making the
> right choices (or else we fall back to our known ways - 'nobody ever
> got fired for hiring IBM').
>

>> The good thing is, we do not have to stop anything. We can and we already are doing both. We have great local events and code sprints and fun and party and all. Plus we have a one time per year event that is expensive and attracts the money. Where is the problem? Don't like it? Then don't go. Cannot afford it? Then promote it so that those who can afford it go (and indirectly pay your pizza during the fun events). How cool is that?

> [...]

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.