[OSGeo-Discuss] My feelings about board elections

SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy
Mon Oct 30 09:29:03 PDT 2017

+ 1 for Sanghee (mostly):

I will try to make my contribution because it is an issue that concerns me even before being elected as a charter member.

Personally I do not like that there are no representatives outside of Europe and the USA in the Board, but... it is a fact. And this happens for many reasons (not only inside OSGeo but in most international organizations). It is worth asking, for example, why I am the first (after 10 responses) that responds from outside these regions. And this proportion will probably be maintained, if the discussion advances. I think that this predominance of a "WHITE Directory only from Europe and North America" ​​will remain unless the members from "outside" begin to make their voice heard. And not by participation fees that are not supported by firm foundations. That is why we created the GeoForAll Iberoamerica group, as a space to start raising the voice of this part of the world (I feel more "GeoForAll" than "OSGeo" maybe for these reasons; hopefully we can get the idea to be copied by others). I even think that OSGeo has more reason to exist outside the regions most represented in this new Board (I mean Asia, Africa, Latin America) but to achieve a more equitable representation, much work must be done in several ways. And it is those of these regions who have to start raising their voices. Organize and claim for more spaces. It's not worth only complaining but acting. We need to understand why things are the way they are. For instance the great act of commitment to the community of being a member of the Board probably won't mean the same to an European or American (from USA ;-)) than to an African (from Malawi, for instance) because he or she will surely has other -bigger, more urgent- worries. How do we change this? It's not easy. But not impossible.

My 0.002 cents

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía