[OSGeo-Discuss] My feelings about board elections

Vicky Vergara vicky at georepublic.de
Mon Oct 30 23:04:09 PDT 2017

Hi all, Frank:

I have being woman all my life and also Mexican, I fall in both categories,
but personally I want to win in a fair game, not to fill a quota, and in
this case is two quotas!!!. I don't feel that ever in my life I won
something to fill a quota and I don't want to start to be used to fill a
quota.

Storm is over and my baby elephant is eating fresh grass that is starting
to grow.

Being on the board or not, there is work to be done.

Regards
Vicky

​PS. I will think of option(s) that are not filling quotas.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 1:40 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Ravi Kumar
> <manarajahmundry2015 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Will be happy to see those who have let 'The Clouds In Motion'... and
> those
> > 'Giving us a good harvest of GRASS'.. speak out too.
>
> Ravi,
>
> I am not sure, but in light of my signature perhaps 'the clouds in
> motion' is a hint to me.
>
> I don't see any need to rerun this election, nor am I particularly
> concerned co-CRO who is nominated to run, etc.  Lets all give folks
> the benefit of the doubt, and it isn't like the board has their
> fingers on the button of nuclear weapons. :-)
>
> Like Sanghee I am concerned that the board is less diverse than I
> would have hoped by now.  I think it would be reasonable to adapt the
> board selection criteria to ensure at least some diversity on axes we
> want to see covered.  I could imagine a couple of special rules like:
>  - If by normal voting no female would be elected, and if there is a
> female running in the election the female with the most votes will
> replace the otherwise lowest voted person who would have made the
> board.
>  - If by normal voting no two board members are selected who are
> outside "north america + europe" and if there are such candidates
> running then replace the otherwise lowest voted person who would have
> made the board with the the candidates outside of NA+EUR with the most
> votes.
>
> Well some word smithing and algorithm clarification would be needed,
> but you get the general idea, and a number of variations would be
> helpful in moving us towards more diverse representation.
>
> I would prefer to see a change in board voting rules of this nature
> passed by a vote of the charter members rather than just put in place
> by the board.
>
> But most of all, I wish to encourage us all to recognise that we are
> an organization of volunteers and that we have similar goals.  While
> we fine tune things, I hope we try to avoid taking offense and ascribe
> the best intentions to others in our community.
>
> Best regards,

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,
81739 München, Germany