[OSGeo-Discuss] [Marketing] Proprietary GIS on our OSGeo website

María Arias de Reyna delawen+osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 01:23:27 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 08:33:05PM -0700, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> How much of your initial concern was providing a link? Or is it just
>> displaying the name (switching to MapInfo for the example here). It would
>> be kind of nice if the it behaved like a keyword, and linked to the project
>> page short listing all the projects that one can migrate to from MapInfo.
>
> It's different degrees of annoyance. I guess a brand-less and
> link-less list of names of proprietary products would not be too
> "offensive" for me (assuming spam filtering lets it pass) but I'd
> still prefer an hidden keyword. Something that you never see written
> but is recognized by the search engine to give you back a similar
> software: you search for <proprietary> you get <free>.
>
> The "like Photoshop, only better" motto I like even when it contains
> the name because it explicitly bashes it :)

That would work very good if we use for example google ads. But still,
for people who are lookiing for "how to migrate to FLOSS", a
non-linked name could be useful. I mean: they exist, they are there,
they are a fact. We don't need to promote them to be able to say "if
you already use this, you can move to this".

And now I realize I put a link on the GeoNetwork page just because I
copypasted from another project :) Bad María, bad.