[OSGeo-Discuss] [Marketing] Proprietary GIS on our OSGeo website

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Thu Sep 21 02:04:25 PDT 2017

Dear All,

If the aim is only to help new users who are not aware of
Free and Open Source Geospatial Software, it could be
better to have a dedicated page which allows new user
to input keywords (e.g. the present software they are using,
of the OGC standards compliance they are looking for etc.)
and returning the results pointing to appropriate OSGeo
software).

If I understood correctly, I think this is what Sandro has been
suggesting and I like this approach.

As I already commented on the github ticket 1], I do not think
it is necessary to have an item such as "similar proprietary software"
or "Migrate From XXX" (also, we should rather propose "Migration *form*
YYY to Free and Open Source
tool", where YYY would be the user input keyword).

Also, some of the names of Proprietary products are registered as
trademarks,
and it could be better to avoid using these names directly on the OSGeo
website.

Best

Venka

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/issues/100