[OSGeo-Discuss] Add your avatar to wiki pages

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Sep 21 06:16:31 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 09:42:48AM -0300, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Have some geek fun and magically add your avatar (from Gravatar/Libravatar
> services) to your OSGeo wiki pages.  The wiki syntax is:
>
>    <libravatar email="jmckenna(at)osgeo(dot)org"/>

Actually this is even easier with the updated User template [1]:
just fill in the "Email" field and, i you didn't explicitly
specify a "Photo" field, the "Email" field will be used to retrive
an Avatar using the "Libravatar" protocol, which implies:

 - Ask the DNS database if your mail domain has an associated
   avatar service, and use that if so (it is the case for me)

 - Failing the above, ask libravatar.org for the avatar associated
   to your email fingerprint (you can upload a picture there:
   https://www.libravatar.org/)

 - If you hadn't uploaded a picture on libravatar.org, it will
   fallback to gravatar (some of you may know gravatar from
   elsewhere)

NOTE: the same process above is the one used to display avatars
for Gogs users here: https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/explore/users/

The idea of "libre avatar" is that you can be in control of
serving your own avatar.

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Template:OSGeo_Member

--strk;